What’s good about blogging?
Blogging is one of my favorite ways of generating side-income as the site is a platform to share our passions or knowledge where these would also be valuable for some if done right. When you have built up tractions and readership, brands will be coming your way for all sorts of sponsorships. Here are the exact 5 steps to help you set-up yours, and start your profitable game.
Step 1 – Choose a name
Before choosing a name, take some time to brainstorm the focus of the blog. The only way to successfully build a profitable blog is to provide out-of-this-world amazing contents, where readers can’t resist but to keep following and engaging with you.
Go as niche as you can, and don’t worry about not being mass enough. The key is to build a laser-focus topic direction, to get a tightly knitted group of readers to be sticky. You can go with your hobbies and location, like the following examples:
- Baking + New Territories (HK) = “Darkside Bakers”
- Photography + hiking + Asia = “Hike and Shoot Asia”
- Textile design + London = “All Things Textiles London”
If you are stuck at this moment, don’t be afraid to register your own name like I did here. There are plenty ways to branch out afterwards, although blog or domain name changing is not suggested.
Step 2 – Purchase a domain name and web hosting
Once you have decided on the blog name, go to Bluehost to buy a web hosting plan. It is a reliable hosting and domain service provider, with responsive customer support. I would recommend starting with the basic plan, which will come with a free domain name for 1 year in the plan if you go through this link:
Click “select” under the plan you prefer to go with, and search the domain name you’ve decided on. Upon confirming the available domain names, proceed to checkout.
Step 3 – Install WordPress (1-click installation)
Once you’ve chosen a domain name and you’ve registered for an account with Bluehost, you’re ready to build a WordPress blog.
- Log into Bluehost. Go to “My Sites” and click on “Create Site”.
- Choose a WordPress theme for your website. Don’t worry about your selection as you can change the theme later.
- Click “Log in to WordPress” on the left, and choose if you would like to have a “Business” or “Personal” site.
- Next, fill in the site title and description.
- Choose if you would like to update with new blog post. If not, you can move on.
- you will have two options of layout: your most recent news and updates, or a static welcome page. If you plan to use your website as a blog, the first option would be better for readers to see your new posts as soon as they visit your site.
- set up a contact page as you wish, or skip it for later.
- connect your Jetpack with WordPress to improve security and track statistics.
- click “install WooCommerce” if you are planning to sell products or services on this site.
- click “Customize your site” to double check your preferences.
- click “LAUNCH”! And your WordPress site will be LIVE!
That’s it! Have a trial on a few posts and get a feel of it. It might take a few weeks to get used to it and establish your tone of comfortable voice. I will be sharing how to build tractions with blogging, and set-up automatic income streams in separate posts. Subscribe below if you don’t want to miss out.
Latest posts by Grace Chan (see all)
- 3 Steps to set up a blog in 30mins - May 17, 2019
- 10 Best side business ideas to start while working full-time - May 11, 2019
- Find your existing strengths and turn into profitable income - May 1, 2019